How many working positions are planned by companies? What are the most requested professional profiles? How many job positions offer more opportunities for young people and women? Which qualifications are the most popular?
The “Unione Italiana delle Camere di Commercio Industria, Artigianato e Agricoltura” in collaboration with Italian Labour Ministry and EU, in 1997 created Excelsior, the “Information System for employment and training”, which annually does the forecasting frameworks of job demand, professional and training need expressed by the companies, providing extremely useful indications to support the planning choices for training, the vocational guidance and employment policies.
Excelsior Research Methodology
The survey is carried out in every Italian province by the network of Chamber of Commerce through director phone interviews, involving a subset of 300,000 companies belonging to all economic sectors and of every dimension. The high interviews’ numbers and the methodology used in the construction of the subset, enable the possibility to obtain qualitative and statistician meaningful data for all 105 Italian provinces.
Thanks to Excelsior it is possible:
- Receive forecast data on labor market trends and on the professional and training company’s needs;
- Consult the statistical data on the hiring planned by the companies, analyzing data at national, regional and provincial level;
- Realize tailored tables and graphs consulting Excelsior data base, where you can find statistical data on professions, sectors and educational levels sought by companies.
The collaboration between TabulaeX, Gruppo Clas and Unioncamere begun in 1997 for the technical realization of the project “Excelsior 2018-2020”.
TabulaeX, former spin-off company of University of Milano-Bicocca, is part of the Burning-Glass Technologies group based in Boston (USA). The company provides innovative methodologies, tools for analyzing and visualizing digital data (structured and unstructured) to support decision makers, improve business processes and encourage new data-drive business models in private and governmental organizations. The technical project arises from the need to merge the Excelsior survey model, and the process of acquiring data from the Web, in order to have more detailed and complete overview.
Thanks to WollyBi, now in 2.0 version, it is possible to have an original point of view on the labor market, through the analysis of daily job ads published on the web by the companies. A remarkably innovative approach, based on data and semantic analysis, also allows the extraction of information on professions and skills not otherwise obtainable.
WollyBi key features:
- Explore job ads by choosing territory of interest deepen to the communal level, discover professions, skills and typology of companies seeking for job.
- Discover which professional, attitudinal, and personal skills are required and their relevance for accessing a job.
- Analyse economic sectors through web announcements.
- Choose your favourite profession among those in job ads and observe the territorial request and the typology of the requesting companies.
WollyBi analyses job ads daily collected using different methodologies depending on the sources type:
- Direct data extraction from original sources.
- API interface with original sources.
- Scraping web pages of the original sources.
- Crawling web pages of the original sources.
Thanks to the merging of TabulaeX and Union Camere data set acquisition processes, it will be possible to obtain a detailed and complete view of the labour market.